Saturday, September 4, 2010

Adjustments

There are many minor adjustments that accompany any sort of move overseas. Here are a few of mine thus far:

1. No shower curtains. As confirmed by D~ in his new apartment in Timisoara, Romanians do not use shower curtains, apparently. It works out alright, just a little adjustment.

2. Sleep. My sleep schedule is a disaster. I am awake late, exhausted in the afternoon, and have woken up between 5 and 7 am since Wednesday morning.

3. Time. I am still figuring out the time difference. I know it in my head, but it is odd to talk to someone and have them discuss the breakfast they just went to, as I am contemplating dinner.

4. Time. Romanians, even here in the bustling city of Bucharest, just take things... slowly. It works out, just not in my timing.

5. Language. I'm not even going to go here.

6. Streets and addresses. I have lived here since Tuesday evening and I still have just a faint grasp of where in the city I live, and what street I live on. I can figure out my way around the area, sure- but to tell you where I live? No way! I can't even pronounce the name of the metro station on the corner near my flat. And the map of Bucharest looks like a bowl of spaghetti noodles.

I am going to try and post a video a bit later of my apartment- hope it works!

No comments:

Post a Comment