Saturday, May 21, 2011

Not the Same

When I first decided to move to Romania, one of the ways I pacified myself was the promise of communication. We live in a world of instant communication, via telephone or email or the marvels of Skype. I told myself and everyone else that it would be like I wasn't even gone. We could talk and stay involved in the life of the other and it would all be okay.

After spending a lot of time on Skype this week talking to various people, I've come to realize something that I should have suspected.

This is not the same. It is not the same as holding a baby in your arms. It is not the same as lying next to someone in a bed. It is not the same as sitting by a friend watching a movie. It is not the same as going out and experiencing life together.

You can get to know people, and discover new things about them. You can stay updated with the life events of friends. You can listen to laughter and participate in crying. You can even share experiences.

But it never will be the same as holding a the hand of a friend, feeling the touch of someone close, hearing the breath of voice in your ear.

This is not the same, and I really should stop telling myself it is.

No comments:

Post a Comment