Tuesday, March 1, 2011

Mărţişor

Here is a great article on the history of Mărţişor in Romania, for those who are interested.

http://davesgarden.com/guides/articles/view/2824/

For those who are not, here is what I can tell you.

It happens on the first of March, which seems to be because of the Roman Calandar, which used to begin in March. It is a really old tradition and you give a Mărţişor to people to wish them strength and health in the coming year. Traditionally, men give the talisman to women, and it is a twisted string of red and white thread to symbolize the passage of winter to spring.

Here is what else I can tell you.

My apartment is once again filled with flowers, and I have some really lovely Mărţişor(s?) from many of my students. It was a good day :)

No comments:

Post a Comment